Historic Sites of Manitoba: Havelock School No. 1514 (RM of Minto-Odanah)

The Havelock School District was organized formally in November 1909 and a school building was erected the following year, on the northeast quarter of 22-14-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Minto-Odanah. It opened for classes in April 1911 with forty students distributed between grades 1 to 8. It closed in 1967 and the district was dissolved two years later. The school building was later moved to the Minnedosa and District Museum and was relocated to its present site in 1997. Its exterior was renovated and painted in 2003. The former school is commemorated at its former location by a fieldstone monument.

Among the teachers of Havelock School were Jane Jones (1911), Jessie E. Williamson (1912), Christena J. Jackson (1913), Mary Jones (1914-1915, 1917), Oliver M. Taylor (1915-1916), Gladys Lee (1917), Magdalene J. Hill (1918), Ruby E. Knox (1919-1920), V. Olive Crealock (1920-1921), Herbert Milton Bell (1921-1922), Eleanara Henry (1922-1924), Jean Blackburn (1925-1926), Mary Allen (1926-1928), Beryl E. Sirett (1928-1929), Victoria Ward (1929), Goldie Lucow (1929-1931), Ruth Bolton (1931-1934), Bessie H. Grafton (1934-1936), Roland Gustaf Quarnstrom (1937-1938), Winifred Norah Hulbert (1938-1939), Beth Noreen Greenaway (1939-1941), Harriet Eleanor Halpenny (1941-1942), Alfreda Beryl Young (1942-1943), Gewndolyn Elsie “Gwen” Campbell (1943-1944), Winona Marie Horner (1944-1945), Pearl Celia Bayduza (1945-1946), Gwendolyn Elizabeth Gray (1947-1948), Ethel Margaret Ericson (1948-1950), Doreen Margareta Miller (1950-1951), Verla Fay Bent (1951-1952), Lillian Anne Boyko (1953-1953), Bernice Marleen McLean (1953-1954), Rhoda Blair (1954-1958), Mae Johnson (1958-1959), Greta June Howard (1959-1961), Vivian Bernice Smith (1961-1962), and Mary Mildred Vint (1962-1967).

Havelock School

Havelock School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 131.

The former Havelock School building at the Minnedosa and District Museum

The former Havelock School building at the Minnedosa and District Museum (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Havelock School commemorative monument

Havelock School commemorative monument (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.20488, W99.84437
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnedosa and District Museum (Minnedosa)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Havelock School No. 1514 Daily Registers, GR2063, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 16 December 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!