Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hathaway School No. 717 (Broomhill, Municipality of Two Borders)
In July 1892, the Hathaway School District was formally organized near Broomhill, in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders, being moved into town in 1916. It operated until 1958, when it merged with Broomhill School No. 985 to become Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363 in a new building, with the former school building sold to a local farmer for use as living quarters for hired help. The old Broomhill school building was brought to town for use as a teacherage and, after the school closed, it was used for community events. The consolidated school building was moved to Melita around 1963 where it was used as a classroom at Melita Consolidated School No. 440. A monument at the site was erected in 1985.
The teachers of Hathaway School were Duncan Jamieson (1893), Miss M. E. Hawthorne (1894), Miss Frances Logan (1894), Miss Lizzie Cooper (1895), C. W. MacRury (1895), Miss Wilhelmina McIssac (1898), Miss Alice D. Sharman (1898), Miss Maggie J. Wright (1899), Miss Lillian McLaren (1901), Miss Bessie McKay (1902), Mr. W. S. Dunkley (1903), Fred Pope (1903), Miss Irene Livingstone (1903), Gordon McLaren (1903), Mr. W. A. Shannon (1905), Miss Violet M. Stedman (1906), Miss Bessie M. R. Kilpatrick (1906), Miss Alma M. Davies (1906), Miss Mary E. I. Black (1907), Harry Lewis (1908), Miss Agnes Forsyth (1909-1910, 1911), Miss Bertha M. Wyatt (1911), Miss Daisy Downing (1912), Carlton G. Lee (1912), Miss Marion Forsyth (1913-1915), Miss Frances Rutledge (1916-1918), Miss Lena Morden (1918-1920), Miss Marjorie Tooke (1921), James A. Leslie (1921-1922), Gladys Mann (1922-1925), Miss Margaret R. Forbes (1925-1926), Miss Mae M. Davidson (1926-1929), Miss Marguerite V. Gerdis (1929-1932), Miss Eva M. Reynolds (1932-1933), Miss Gertrude E. Ray (1933-1934), Miss Marjorie J. Hawkins (1935-1937), Miss A. Jean Henderson (1937-1939), Miss Frances M. Wilman (1939-1940), Mirr Irene Vince (1940-1942), Mrs. Heather Coulter (1942-1943, 1945-1946), Miss Kathleen A. Moir (1943-1944), Miss Elma M. E. Milne (1944-1945), Miss Muriel Fewings (1946-1947), Miss Gertrude Avery (1947-1948), James Stuart (1948-1949), Miss Helen Matheson (1949-1950), Miss Peggy M. A. McGill (1950-1951), Mrs. Ruth Wilken (1951-1952), Miss Anna Moen (1952), Mrs. Jean Rainnie (1952), Miss Noreen McAdoo (1953), and Mrs. Mona Watt (1953-1955).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Our First Century: Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur, Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, Manitoba Legislative Library F5648.A78.
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
We thank Lynn Jones and Sylvia Halls for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 May 2020