The Haig School District was established in July 1916, probably commemorating British military officer Douglas Haig (1861-1928) who founded the British Legion and Poppy Day. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NE4-31-22W in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division.
Haig School (circa 1919)
Source: Education Department Report, 1919, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Haig School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 43.
The former Haig School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 380.
The former Haig School building (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N51.62635, W100.51083
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Earl Haig School (First Street, Brandon)
Singush Lake East topographic map, 62N/10 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 March 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.