Historic Sites of Manitoba: Federal Grain Elevator (Grosse Isle, RM of Rockwood)
A wooden grain elevator in Grosse Isle, on the CNR Oak Point Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Rosser, was built around 1911 by the Manitoba Grain Commission. It was later operated successively by United Grain Growers (two years), Smith Murphy and Company (two years), A. J. Lobb (1918-1928), Wiley Low and Company (1928-1932), and Federal Grain (1932-1970). In July 1971, after the elevator had closed, it was moved to the Woodland Hutterite Colony.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
1901 Canada census [Roscoe Angst], Automated Genealogy.
Obituary [Roscoe Francis Angst], Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1966, page 30.
“Federal elevator phased out,” Stonewall Argus and Teulon Times, 28 July 1971, page 1.
The Grosse Isle Story by Grosse Isle Women’s Institute, c1978, pages 375-376.
We thank Paul Newsome, Helen Newsome, and Steve Boyko for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Terry Borthistle.
Page revised: 13 January 2020