Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grande Clairiere School No. 1121 (RM of Cameron)

The Grande Clairiere School District was established formally in May 1905 and it operated a school in the village of Grande Clairiere in the Rural Municipality of Cameron. The district was dissolved in 1968. The former school building is used as a snack concession shack during public events.

The teachers of Grande Clairiere School (1923-1966) were Sister Saint Suzanne, Miss M. J. Sansregret, Miss Francoise Lambert, Miss Alice Desautels, Miss Jeanne Lamoine, Miss Flora Bessett, Miss Anne Desautels, Miss Marguerite Loire, Miss Germaine Boiteau, Leo Landry, Sister Maria Helena, Sister Marie, Vincent, Sister Marie Antoinette, Sister Marie Gabrielle, Sister Marie Anne Joseph, Sister Maria de la Nativite, Sister Marie de l’Enfant Jesus, Mrs. Anne Marie Paiement, Miss Lucille Desrosiers, Miss Therese Rey, Miss Lucille Joubert, Miss T. Rey, Miss Claire Perras, Miss Salley Rey, Miss Doris Vuvelier, Miss Margaret Butte, Miss Beryl Cantlon, Miss Olga Long, and Miss Donna Gibson.

Grande Clairiere School

Grande Clairiere School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 61.

Grande Clairiere School

The former Grande Clairiere School building (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.50443, W100.70468
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 January 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.