Historic Sites of Manitoba: Saunders School / Glenn School No. 1932 (RM of Reynolds)
Known originally as the Saunders School District when it was organized formally in June 1918, the name was changed to Glenn sometime before 1944. In 1928, local men constructed a one-room schoolhouse using locally cut logs at SW6-8-15E in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Reynolds. The school closed in June 1968 and the district was dissolved later that year. Its area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
The teachers of Glenn School were Vera Ellen Horn (1928-1929), Nellie Irene Roth (1929-1930), H. Angus McDonald (1930-1932), Anne M. Harris (1933-1935), Kathleen Violet Heindle (1935-1938), Pauline Iris Palsson (1938-1939), Marion M. Winston (1939-1940), Olive M. Andrews (1940-1941), Nellie Mostaway (1941-1942), Jeannette Dufresne (1942-1943), Geraldine McMunn (1943-1944), Alfreda M. Huppe (1944-1945), Benny Z. Orlins (1945-1946), Ida Pearl McMunn (1946-1947), Helen Ostry (1947-1948), Shirley Wechreschuk Biedler (1948-1949), Margaret McMunn (1949-1951), Henry B. Unrau (1951-1952), John P. Beda (1952-1953), George Bernard Schmidt (1953-1954), Shirley Senchuk (1954-1956), Joseph Bernard Cooper (1956-1957), Eva Fast (1957-1958), Harry Unger (1958-1959), Peter Cesmystruk (1959-1960), John Chobotar (1960-1961), Helen Kissick (1961-1962), George Henderson (1962-1966), Mrs. William Ellis (1966-1967), and Lorna Feilberg (1967-1968).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
McMunn, East Braintree, Glenn: Pioneer History, 1913-1989, pages 148-158.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 December 2018
Back to top of page