Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenlyon School No. 1209 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)
The Glenlyon School District was established in November 1902, named in commemoration of local rancher Glenlyon Campbell, and a one-room schoolhouse was built by James H. Crowe about 1892 at NE32-23-22W in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains, on land donated by Duncan Cameron. The school closed in 1966 and district was dissolved the following year. Its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building and barn were sold, with the barn being moved to a farm south of the site, while the school was moved along Highway 10 where it remained as of 2006. A monument at the original school site was erected by former students of the school in July 1995, on land donated by John Shewchuk.
Among the teachers of Glenlyon School was Miss Janet Wilhelmina “Jessie” Ross.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt and Carol MacLeod for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 November 2017
Back to top of page