Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenholm School No. 208 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
The Glenholm School District was established in 1884, and a school building was erected in the southwest quarter of 22-16-14 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. In 1919, it became involved in the rural school consolidation movement when it consolidated with Ridgeview School No. 883 to form Glenholm Consolidated School. In 1968, it became part of the Beautiful Plains School Division. The former school building, dating from 1921, was later renovated into a private residence.
Among the other teachers of Glenholm School were Lillie Beynon (1897) and Neil Alexander McLennan (early 1920s).
Photos & Coordinates
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 May 2021