Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glengarry School No. 1419 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

The first Glengarry School opened in 1888 and a log building was erected the next year in the southeast quarter of 36-10-4 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie, on the border with the RM of Cartier. Although identified in some documents as School District No. 77, this may be incorrect, as No. 77 was also recorded as being Parkhill School near Morden. In any case, Glengarry School was No. 1419 as of 1908. It closed in April 1960 and merged with Elie School No. 961 and Norway School No. 1536 to form Elie Consolidated School No. 2383. The school site was purchased and the building was renovated into a private residence.

The teachers of Glengarry School were Eliza Chisholm, Grace Belle Hanley (1892-1899), Alice M. Thompson, William Donovan, V. M. Rheaume, M. M. Hannah, Effie Post, Edna Robertson Bray (1903-1905), Olive Arbuthnot, Mabel White (1906), Ella A. Koake, Margaret Wood Alford, E. M. Fraser, Mabel Alexander, Jeannie Sullivan, Annie Stewart, Myrtle Christie Monday, Helen Sylvester, Hilda Vint Wood, Flora Sexsmith (1918), Kathleen Griffin, S. E. MacKee (1920), Edith Dow (1921-1923), M. E. Sharpe (1923-1924), Grace Miller Dalrymple (1925-1926), Ann Vincelette Bate (1927-1928), Mary Crain (1929-1933), Norman Newman (1934-1938), Joyce Morrow Vincelette (1938-1941), Dolores Carriere (1941), Enid Howard (1942-1943), Alice Puddicombe (1943-1944), Renee E. Bertoncini (1944-1946), Cecile Legault (1946-1948), Helen Masse (1948-1951), Mrs. O. MacCosham (1951-1952), Hubert Bosc (1952-1954), Ralph Stanley Trombo (1954-1955), Jeannine Girard, Jeanne Beaulac, Marie Isobey, Louise Hempe, and Anita Legault.

Glengarry School

Glengarry School (circa 1913)
Source: Education Department Report, 1913, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Glengarry School

Glengarry School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 114.

The former Glengarry School

The former Glengarry School (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1073.

Glengarry School commemorative sign

Glengarry School commemorative sign (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87188, W97.87235
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Parkhill School No. 77 (RM of Stanley)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.