Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glendenning School No. 552 (RM of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
The Glendenning School District was established formally in March 1888, and a school building was erected at NW32-3-15W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain. In 1899, the schoolhouse was moved to NE36-3-16W. The district was dissolved in 1967, the remaining students going to Killarney School No. 252. The school building is no longer on the site but a metal sign commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Glendenning School were John C. Deardon (1888), V. Morrison, A. Cluff, M. Harrison, ? McKinnon, A. Olver, H. Harper, B. McPhail, E. Thomas, R. Nates, ? Kan, G. Scholes, ? Swartz, V. Eaton, F. Whiteside, E. Jamieson, F. C. McKenzie (1920-1921), M. Schnarr, ? Neelin, Dunn K. Wilson, O. Burke, V. Sampson, M. Sparrow, G. Atkins, M. Rankin, J. Ziegler, F. Thomson, J. Coats, J. Pogson, L. Groff, M. McCarthur, D. Darling, E. Olver, T. Snowden, A. Staples, M. Foster, A. Penner, and A. Friesen.
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections: Turtle Mountain Municipality and Killarney, 1882-1982, page 108.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2019
Back to top of page