Around 1981, this barn near Pipestone in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone were featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on rural architecture. The original caption for the photograph is given below.
This particular barn is located at the junctions of No. 2 and No. 83 highways just west of Pipestone. Owned by Harold Forder, the large 122-foot by 38-foot barn was built by his father, William, in 1891. It was used for purebred Shorthorn cattle, as well as shelter for horses and pigs. An example of the well-windowed structures that began to emerge in this century, the Forder barn is also an example of farmers’ continuous battle against the elements and thousands of other barns on the western prairies – the original roof was blown away during violent windstorms of the 1920s and 1930s.
As of 2013, the building was still standing. It is a municipally-designated historic site (2014).
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
This page was prepared by Bob Hainstock, Ed Ledohowski, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.