The Fillion School District was established in May 1920 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW35-3-2E in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. The district was dissolved in 1958 and its area became part of the St. Jean Baptiste Consolidated School District. The former school building was later moved to SW22-3-2E where it was used for storage.
Fillion School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 82.
Former Fillion School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 413.
Site Location (lat/long): N49.26571, W97.23249
denoted by symbol on the map above
Morris East topographic map, 62H/6 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 July 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.