Historic Sites of Manitoba: Euclid School No. 187 (RM of Portage la Prairie)
Euclid School was formally established in July 1882, with a building erected on the northwest quarter of 6-13-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. It closed in January 1967 when it was merged into Prairie Central Consolidated School No. 2456. The renovated school building remains on the site and is used as a private residence.
Some of the teachers of Euclid School included Minnie Sinclair, J. Cunningham, Carrie Caston, Minnie Glennie, Ruth Ardell Bradley, Hilda Johnston, Margaret McDonald, Helen M. Young, Margaret Lesperence, Irene Blight, Heather Muirhead, Lois Washington, and Irma Gobert.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2017
Back to top of page