Historic Sites of Manitoba: Emerson CPR Station (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
The first railway depot in Emerson (today, on the CPR Emerson Subdivision in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin) was built in 1879 and was destroyed by fire in May 1885. A temporary structure was used until a new one was constructed. The present one-storey building, measuring 36 by 88 feet, was constructed in 1914 at a cost of $9,000.
The layout of the depot’s interior was determined by railway standards of the time for small to medium-sized passenger stations. It included an office, a waiting room and baggage room for passengers, and a separate storage room for freight. Because of its border location, the building probably also had an office for the customs officers and a bonded storage room. The agent and his family lived in a separate residence building.
A local group had intended to use the old station as the clubhouse for a new golf course being constructed nearby. They were offered the building for $1 but, on closer inspection, found little of the original interior. The roof rafters were sagging and exterior shingles were in poor condition. The cost of moving the building was considerable and it would have to be brought up to modern building codes at the new site. Facing these challenges, the group decided against accepting the building.
We thank Wayne Arseny and Les Kozma for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 December 2016
Back to top of page