Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edgehill School No. 130 (RM of Yellowhead)

This site, at NE13-17-24W in the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead, was the location of Edgehill School from 1882 to 1956. Established as a school district in December 1881, a one-room schoolhouse was built in 1882, on land donated by Charles Findlay. Two years later, the school burned down and classes were held in a nearby granary until a new building could be erected. It opened in August 1884. The school closed in 1956 and its area became part of the Shoal Lake Consolidated School District. The former school building was sold at auction and moved to the village of Shoal Lake where it was renovated into a private residence. A sign at its former site commemorates Edgehill School.

Among the teachers of Edgehill School were Janet Templeton (1880s), Margaret Ann Simpson (1910s), Alice Victoria Short (1910s), Miss Dunseith, and Frances Berwick Peel (1933-1937).

The Edgehill School site

The Edgehill School site (circa 1931)
Source: Education Department Report, 1931, Manitoba Legislative Library.

The second Edgehill School building

The second Edgehill School building (no date) by J. B. Morrison
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 43.

Edgehill School

Edgehill School (no date) by J. B. Morrison
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 43.

The former Edgehill School building, renovated into a private residence in Shoal Lake

The former Edgehill School building, renovated into a private residence in Shoal Lake (August 1960)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Districts - Edgehill.

Edgehill School commemorative sign

Edgehill School commemorative sign (August 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.45826, W100.64634
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Ripples On The Lake: A History of Shoal Lake Municipality, 1884-1984 by Shoal Lake History Book Committee, 1984.

We thank Malcolm Bell and Marj Bone for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.