Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Selkirk School No. 99 (East Selkirk, RM of St. Clements)
The East Selkirk School District was established formally in July 1880 and a schoolhouse operated on River Lot 66, reportedly in second floor quarters of the Hickes residence in East Selkirk, (near the quarry), within the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. Its catchment area was bordered by the Dynevor School District to the north and the Mapleton School District No. 5 (and Red River) to the west. The earliest known classroom instruction dates to 1885, with Board of Education records not regularly listing the district prior to that point. From the Fall Term of 1908 through the Fall Term of 1909, no active teaching presence was recorded. This corresponds with the establishment of the Happy thought School No. 1452 in the spring of 1908, with the de facto defunct East Selkirk School District dissolved in 1910, and its surviving catchment area largely (if not entirely) formally reassigned the new local school district.
Among the teachers of East Selkirk School were M. Armstrong (Fall 1885), Mary A. Hedley (Spring 1886 - Fall 1887), Agnes Laut (pt Spring 1888), Minnie McNeil (pt Spring 1888), C. H. S. Chapman (Fall 1888), George B. "Georgie" Reid (Spring-Fall 1889), Mrs. W. C. Eaton (Spring-Fall 1890), W. E. Stafford (Spring - pt Fall 1891), L. K. Halstead (pt Fall 1891), John A. Bates (Spring 1892), James Gibson (Fall 1892), Arthur D. Fenwick (Spring 1893), did not operate (Fall 1893), W. R. Symms [Tymms?] (Spring-Fall 1894), Albert E. Vrooman (Spring-Fall 1895), E. E. Lunn? [Law?] (Spring-Fall 1896), Charles Huggard (Spring-Fall 1897), Thomas Boniface Molloy (Spring 1898 - Fall 1899), Mand [Mona?] Reid (Spring-Fall 1900), Fred Gershaw (Spring 1901 - Spring 1905), Fred L. Johnston (pt Fall 1905), W. J. Bowley (pt Fall 1905), Alex. W. McClelland (Spring-Fall 1906), Alex Russell (Spring 1907), and Charles M. Melbanks (Fall 1907 - Spring 1908).
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), East Selkirk School District No. 99, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The East Side of the Red River: A Centennial Project of the Rural Municipality of St. Clements 1884-1984, St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 August 2022