East Mountain School was established formally in March 1898 and a frame school building was erected the next year on the southeast quarter of 18-1-15 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Roblin. It closed in 1964 and its remaining students went to Cartwright School No. 174 or Holmfield Consolidated School No. 699. The school building is no longer present at the site but a metal sign commemorates it.
East Mountain School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 25.
The former East Mountain School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1105.
East Mountain School sign (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.04377, W99.45945
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.