Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dunkinville School No. 2122 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The Dunkinville School District was organized formally in April 1925. It operated a one-room wood frame school building on the southeast quarter of 6-37-24 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. It closed in 1967. The building is still present at the site, used for storage, and a monument commemorates it.
Teachers who worked at Dunkinville School through the years are listed on the back of the monument: Margaret Thurley Day (1925-1927), Elizabeth Fraser Henderson (1927-1928, 1959-1961), Dorothy Hall (1928-1929), Lila Berg (1929-1931), Elizabeth Michelson (1931-1933), Mary Ingram (1933-1934), Mary King (1934-1936), Hannah Glover (1936-1937), Miss McNabb (1937), Euphemia Fraser Dunnett (1937-1938), Frances McAndrew Gillespie (1938-1940, 1954-1958), Margaret Poole (1940-1941), Jessie McLeod (1941-1942), Amy Cotton (1942-1943), Margaret Gillies (1943-1944), Gwen Allen (1944-1945), Dorothy Sargent (1945-1946), Norma Mullin (1946-1947), Mildred Roye (1947-1948), Zenon Drul (1948-1949), John Atamanchuk (1949-1950), Harry Shafransky (1950-1951), Lois Sandholm (1951-1952), Mr. G. R. McKersie (1952-1953), Shirley Sterma (1953-1954), Ben Yakelashek (1958-1959), and Mike Yakelashek (1961-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2016
Back to top of page