Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Pakistan Lecture 2019
Pakistan
Lunch &
Lecture

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dumfries School No. 192 (RM of Langford)

The Dumfries School District was formed in 1884, with a building erected in the northwest corner of SW7-14-14W in the Rural Municipality of Langford. In 1903, a new school was built on SE14-14-15 on an acre of land purchased from James Hall for $1. The school closed in June 1966 and consolidated with Neepawa School No. 126. In December of that year, the Dumfries Women’s Institute bought the building for use as a community centre then, in 1977, sold it to the Neepawa Trail Blazers Skidoo Club. It was sold a couple more times to private interests and eventually became a workshop. Its roof was removed and an implement shed was built over it. A monument was erected at the former school site in 1970.

Among the teachers who worked at Dumfries School through the years was Hazel M. Kellington.

Dumfries School

Dumfries School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 67.

Dumfries School

Dumfries School monument (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.18198, W99.40848
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 155.

Information for this page was collected by Allan Drysdale and prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 April 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.