This building near the Interpretive Centre at Oak Hammock Marsh, in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, was once the ranger’s cabin at the Big Grass Marsh headquarters of Ducks Unlimited Canada, near Langruth. Big Grass was the site of the first DU project in Canada—a major wetland conservation project that was undertaken in 1938 with the goal of restoring and managing former breeding areas and increasing waterfowl production. It was moved to its present site around 2000, after a Ducks Unlimited executive located it on a farm near Big Grass Marsh. It was restored by volunteers.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oak Hammock Marsh Conservation Centre (Oak Hammock Marsh, RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Grass Marsh Monument (Gladstone, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Grass Marsh Monument (Langruth, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Legacy Greenwing Volunteers Plaque (Oak Hammock Marsh, RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ducks Unlimited Monuments
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
Manitoba Organization: Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ducks and Men: Forty Years of Co-operation in Conservation by William G. Leitch, Winnipeg: Ducks Unlimited Canada, 1978.
We thank Rick Wishart, Gary Garrioch, Don Sexton, Jeope Wolfe, Dale Wrubleski, and Rose Kuzina for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.