Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Debonair School No. 92 (RM of Roland)

The Debonair School District was organized in April 1880. A school building was constructed in the southwest quarter of 18-4-4 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Roland. The original building was replaced by one erected in 1899. The school closed in August 1965 and the present building, which replaced the one built in 1926, was moved to NW20-5-4W where it was used for storage.

Among the teachers of Debonair School were Ernest Coulter (1880), H. M. Parkinson (1910), Miss B. Ridyard (1917), Olive Johnston (1918), Mr. Craik (1919), G. Bell (1919), M. Coppinger (1920), Ethel Cruise (1922-1923), Christiana Johnson (1923), Emma Clarke (1924), M. H. Curtis (1924-1925), Esther Jickling (1926), Lena M. Adams (1927), Islay Parker (1927-1928), Edna Cruse Shore (1929-1930), E. M. McLaren (1930), F. Alywin Anderson (1930-1931), Marjorie Ethel Sutton (1931-1932), Clarence Osborne Motheral (1932-1933), Jacob V. Neufeld (1933-1937), Dora Jamisena Lythe (1937-1938), Margaret Georgina Alexander (1938-1939), Edith Isabel Burnett (1939-1941), Edith Elizabeth Katherine Weber (1941-1944), Gladys Margaret Berry (1945-1946), Edith Jean Wood (1946-1949), Geraldine Norah Poersch (1949-1950), Jean Dudgeon (1950), Florence Jean Gall (1950-1951), Bernice Leona Morrow (1951-1953), Jacqueline Ann Stewart (1954-1955), Ragnheidur Evelyne Olafson (1955-1956), Elsie Anne Peters (1956-1958), Jean I. Elves (1958), Edith Winnifred Brown (1958, substitute; 1962-1963), Margaret Ann Peckett (1959), LaVerna Marie Mitchell (1959-1962), Mrs. Harry Janick (1963), and Jeanne Elizabeth Sutton (1964-1965).

Debonair School

Debonair School (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 29.

The former Debonair School

The former Debonair School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1146.

The former Debonair School

The former Debonair School building (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Debonair School commemorative sign

Debonair School commemorative sign (October 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.29624, W98.00123
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Roland & Myrtle Family Histories, Roland 4H, 1990, page 85.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Debonair School District No. 92 Daily Registers, GR1816, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 20 October 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.