Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dandurand School No. 2064 (Haywood, RM of Grey)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Dandurand School, in the village of Haywood in the Rural Municipality of Grey, was named in honour of Father Damase Dandurand, the first Canadian Oblate Father. The school district was formed in 1922 and became part of the Mountain School Division in 1971. Due to declining enrollment, Dandurand School closed in 1991. The wood frame and stucco building was later demolished and replaced at the site by a monument, dedicated to the students, parents, and teachers of the school.

Principals

Period

Principal

1950-1952

Sister Marie Lucie Morin

1952-1953

Sister Marie Alice

1953-1955

Sister B. Lanthier

1955-1956

Sister Marie Alice

1956-1957

Sister Blandine Chaput

1957-1958

Sister Marie Cecile

1958-1959

Sister Marie-Therese

1959-1962

Sister Yvonne

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

Dandurand School

Dandurand School (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 87.

Dandurand School

Dandurand School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 506.

Dandurand School

Dandurand School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.66901, W98.19760
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 May 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.