Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 87


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Grain Elevator (Culross, RM of Grey)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Maps | Sources

A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Culross, on the CPR Glenboro Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Grey, is one of three operated by the Paterson Grain Company that stood at the site in 1989. The western-most elevator, purchased from United Grain Growers, was demolished later that year. An elevator to the east of it, built by Paterson in 1920, was demolished in July 2003. This left the eastern-most elevator that was moved here as an annex from nearby Elm Creek in February 1989 (the remaining Paterson elevator at Elm Creek was demolished in 1994), and remodeled into an elevator at a cost of $650,000. It re-opened officially on 4 October 1989 at a ceremony attended by company representatives Don Paterson and Andrew Paterson, Finance Minister Clayton Manness, and RM of Grey Reeve Marcel Painchaud.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1920-1923

R. H. Wood

1924-1925

Carl Wood

1926-1935

William McKee Jr.

1936-1946

Peter A. Daoust

1946-1960

R. Bruce Johnston

1960-1961

Larry Van Cauwenberghe

1961-1964

R. Bert Banman

1964-1995

Andrew Henry Watson

1995-2000

Rudy Lepp

2000-2008

Alvin Martens

2008-2013

Rudy Lepp

2013-?

Dave Badlo

Photos & Maps

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Culross

The former UGG grain elevator at Culross, left, after its sale to Paterson Grain (October 1975) by Bob Clarke
Source: Pearl Watson

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Culross

Three Paterson grain elevators at Culross (October 1989)
Source: Pearl Watson

Paterson Grain Elevator at Culross

Paterson grain elevators at Culross (July 1992)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 2278.

Paterson Grain Elevator at Culross

Paterson grain elevators at Culross (July 1992)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 2277.

Paterson Grain Elevator at Culross

The sole remaining Paterson grain elevator at Culross, moved here from Elm Creek in February 1989 (July 2014)
Source: Jean McManus

Paterson Grain Elevator at Culross

The sole remaining Paterson grain elevator at Culross, moved here from Elm Creek in February 1989 (September 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.71499, W97.90835
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Consolidated Grain Elevator / United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Culross, RM of Grey)

Sources:

“Elevator builders signed their work, played tic-tac-toe,” Carman Times, 18 July 1994.

We thank Dave Badlo, and Pearl and Andy Watson for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jean McManus.

Page revised: 20 November 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.