Historic Sites of Manitoba: Coultervale School No. 515 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Coultervale School District was established formally in June 1887. A school was erected on the southeast quarter of 16-1-27 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. The original building was replaced in 1914 by the present one-storey, two-classroom yellow brick veneer structure, built at a cost of $4,800. In 1968, it became part of the Antler River School Division. In August 2000, the former school (which now serves as a community centre) became a municipally-designated historic site.
Among the other teachers of Coultervale School were William Morrison (1888), R. G. Atkinson (1889), Hector McArthur (1890), Mary Kinsely (1891), Robert K. Chalmers (1892), Claus Hickson (1893), A. B. Stewart (1894), J. F. Morrison (1894), W. U. Bride (1895), A. V. Knowlton (1896), Florence H. Barrager (1897), Thomas Ross (1898), V. W. Winthrope (1899), Annie Atkinson McKague (1900-1901), Dugald H. Gilchrist (1905), Maud E. Snider (1905-1906), Archibald Bell (1906-1910), I. Campbell (1911), O. Falconer (1912), Sarah Reekie (1913-1914), Maria Foy (1913), Alice Pech (1914), Margaret Masson (1914-1915), Edna M. Harrison (1915), Fern Jackson (1915-1916), Olive Falconer (1916-1918), Laura Burns (1919-1920), F. C. Balfour (1920-1921), J. C. Robb (1921-1922), Eva M. Astrope (1922-1924), Louise Inkster Bell (1924-1925), Verna McDonald (1925-1926), Miss Cameron (1926-1927), Grace C. Hamilton (1927-1928), Winnie Cook (1928-1930), Margaret Gillis (1930-1934), and Agnes Brownlee “Lee” Brown (c1940).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Our First Century, Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur: 1884-1984 by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, pages 236-237.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Coultervale School, SE 16-1-27W, Coulter area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Obituary [Agnes Brownlee “Lee” Treilhard], Winnipeg Free Press, 29 May 2021.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 September 2022