Historic Sites of Manitoba: Comber House / Gilbart Funeral Home (309 Eveline Street, Selkirk)
This two-storey building on Eveline Street in Selkirk was built in 1907 for businessman Edwin Comber, who later lost it due to bad investments. It was used as a private residence until 1935, when it was occupied by the Gilbart Funeral Home, named for founder J. Maurice Gilbart (1896-1944). An attached chapel was built in 1958 and, in 1970, property on the south side was purchased for use as a parking lot. The upper floor of the house was turned in storage space. A 200-person reception hall was built at the back of the building in 2017.
Subsequent proprietors of the business have included William F. Langrill (1908-1954), son of the founder J. Roy Gilbart, and grandson of the founder James Wesley Gilbart. The fourth generation of the Gilbart family is also involved in the business.
“50th anniversary of founding, 1935-1985,” Selkirk Journal, 5 June 1985, page 5.
About Us, Gilbart Funeral Home.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Roy Gilbart for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Connor Macfarlane and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 August 2019
Back to top of page