The Chicken Hill School District was established formally in May 1889 and a building was erected in the southwest quarter of 11-1-7 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. It closed in July 1965 and the remaining students went to Point Douglas Consolidated School No. 1475. The school building has been used to store grain and pesticide containers, and is now badly deteriorated.
Among the teachers at Chicken Hill School were John Vanderstoel and Edith Miller (two years).
Chicken Hill School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 91.
The former Chicken Hill School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 989.
The former Chicken Hill School building and commemorative sign (April 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
The former Chicken Hill School building (July 2018)
Source: M. Greene
Site Location (lat/long): N49.01536, W98.30566
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Rose Kuzina and M. Greene for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.