The Chevrefils School District was established in December 1936 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on Lot 46 in SW29-18-10E in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Alexander. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its area became part of the Agassiz School Division. The former school building was later used as a community centre but was torn down in August 1999.
Chevrefils School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 129.
The former Chevrefils School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 11.
Site Location (lat/long): N50.57739, W96.18058
denoted by symbol on the map above
School Formation File, Chevrefils School District No. 2277, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Diane Dube for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 September 2014
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.