Chesley School District was organized in January 1882 and a school building was erected in the northwest quarter of 13-7-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Oakland. It closed in 1960 and was formally dissolved in January 1967.
Chesley School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 47.
Chesley School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.57629, W99.80247
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnewawa Cemetery (RM of Oakland)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 April 2012
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.