Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carroll Consolidated School No. 868 (Carroll, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)
A school district was organized formally at Carroll, in the Rural Municipality of Oakland, in October 1895 and a school building was constructed the following summer, at a cost of $660. Located in what later became Carroll Park, in April 1914 the district was consolidated with Paisley School No. 321, which had operated since 1885. In 1915, a new two-storey brick school was constructed by Souris contractor Daniel Kitchen on a design by Winnipeg architect Eldred D. Tuttle. It opened in January 1916. Four years later, the basement was renovated for use in a newly opened High School.
In September 1961, senior students were bused to Souris. Over the next few years, nearby rural schools closed and their students came here: Hayfield School No. 200 and Riverbank School No. 384. In 1968, Carroll School joined the Souris Valley School Division and remained opened for students in grades 1 to 6, under the supervision of two teachers, with students from grades 7 and 8 being bused to Souris School. It closed completely on 27 June 1969. The school building still stands on its former site and was renovated into a private residence.
The former school bell is mounted on a monument by the Carroll Memorial Hall (about N49.60779, W100.03206) erected on 5 July 1981.
Among the other teachers of Carroll School were Miss Hall (1905), Charles W. Laidlaw (1897), Miss Mabel Hawthorne (1917-1918), Irene Sinclair Franklin (1924-1925), Eva Croll (1932-1933), Fred Kirbyson, Emily Hunter Turner (1946), Mrs. Henry Gordon (1968-1969), and Mrs. Marian Brown (1968-1969).
Photos & Coordinates
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
Oakland Echoes compiled by J. B. Rome and Connie Davidson, Brandon: J. B. Rome, 1970, pages 167-169.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Forty years ago,” Brandon Sun, 21 May 2008, page 8.
We thank Bill Thexton for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 August 2020