Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carmichael School No. 1959 (RM of Hanover)
The Carmichael School District was organized formally in April 1919 and its affairs were initially overseen by a trustee, John F. Greenway, Assistant Deputy Minister in the provincial Department of Education. It was not until 1926 that a local school board was formed. In the meantime, a school building was erected in the spring of 1921 at NE7-7-4E (about N49.55748, W97.02578) in the Rural Municipality of Hanover and classes started that fall. In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected at the site by the EastMenn Historical Society.
In 1948, after a change in demographics of the district that made it desirable to locate the school elsewhere, the original building was sold for $500, and a new building was erected one mile east of the earlier site. A teacherage was deemed to be in sufficiently good condition that it could be moved from the old site to the new one. Initially a one-classroom building, a second classroom was added in 1955 due to growing student enrollment. In 1968, it became part of the Hanover Unitary School Division. After the school closed, the building was renovated into a private residence. A commemorative sign was erected at the site in 2013 by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the other teachers of Carmichael School were Dietrich Penner (1920-1921), Anna L. Friesen (1921-1922), Abr. P. Toews (1922-1923), Sylvia G. Olson (1923-1924), Harry H. Rempel (1924-1925), J. B. Warkentin (1925-1926), Margaret F. Friesen (1926-1927), Jacob J. Koop (1927-1929), Jacob P. Rempel (1929-1930), Cor. D. Toews (1930-1937) Peter H. Dirks (1937-1939), Isaac Isaac Fast (1939-1940), Eleanore G. Neufeld (1941), Alexander John Fast (1941-1943), John Wiebe Driedger (1943-1946), Anne Toews (1946-1947), Peter Under Dueck (1947-1948), Franz J. Neufeld (1948-1950), Frank Isaac (1950), Justina Buhler (1951), Arden Reimer (1951-1953), and Irwin H. Penner (1953-1955).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Carmichael School District #1959 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Carmichael School District #1959 - Cash Books, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 22 November 2020