The Carey School District was established in June 1912 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE2-6-3E, west of the village of Carey in the Rural Municipality of DeSalaberry. The district was dissolved in 1961 and its area became part of the St. Pierre Consolidated School District. No vestige of the former school building remains at the site.
Carey School (no date) by James Tod
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 7.
The former Carey School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 290.
Site Location (lat/long): N49.44359, W97.07580
denoted by symbol on the map above
Morris East topographic map, 62H/6 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 January 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.