Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 2
Prairie
History

No. 2

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Campau School No. 1418 (RM of Lorne)

Known as Campeau School District when it was established around 1888, commemorating the first resident Roman Catholic priest of St. Alphonse Parish, Father Telesphore Campeau, as early as 1932 the Department of Education requested a name change to avoid confusion with Campeau School near Winnipeg. The change was made in 1954. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NE30-5-12W in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. It closed around 1959 and the area became part of St. Alphonse Consolidated School No. 2371. A monument at the site, dedicated in 1991, commemorates the school. The former schoolhouse still stands nearby at a private residence.

Campau School

Campau School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 114.

Camp
au School

The former Campau School building at N49.42227, W99.08251 (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Camp
au School

Campeau / Campau School monument (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.42850, W99.07392
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Campeau School No. 971 (31 Paul Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Tapestry of Faith: R. C. Parish of St. Alphonse, 1883-1983 by St. Alphonse Centennial History Book Committee, 1988, page 106.

We thank Normand Boisvert for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 July 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.