Historic Sites of Manitoba: Burrows School No. 1122 (RM of Dauphin)
The Burrows School District was organized formally in 1901, probably named for lumberman T. A. Burrows, and a one-room wood frame school building was erected on the southeast quarter of 18-24-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965 and the remaining students were bused to schools in Dauphin. The school building is no longer present at the site but monument commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Burrows School were Gwen Matthews (1938), Miss Sophie Konowalchuk (1954-1955), Joseph Jenkins (1955-1956), Mrs. Jennie Gray (1956-1960), and Mrs. Myrtle Aitchison (1960-1961).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2017