Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kilkenny General Store (Broomhill, Municipality of Two Borders)
A two-storey building in Broomhill, in the Municipality of Two Borders, was built in 1908 for William Kilkenny and his brother John Kilkenny (1862-1930). In its heyday, the Kilkenny store was the centre of the community. A hand-operated gasoline pump sat at the south end, in front of an entrance to the store and post office, with an implement agency and garage at the north end. Three suites (two large, one small) on the upper storey were used as rented residential space. The business was operated by a succession of Kilkennys until it closed on 30 September 1964 and the building was sold to a former employee, in whose family it is still owned.
The building’s east and south walls are made from patterned concrete blocks, cast on site using sand and gravel obtained nearby. The original flat roof is collapsing and the interior floors have failed in several places but, otherwise, the exterior concrete structure seems largely intact.
Our First Century: Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur, Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, Manitoba Legislative Library F5648.A78, pages 590-591.
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, pages 112-116, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
Post offices and postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
We thank Lynn Jones, Curtis Gervin, and Karen Jenner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 August 2018
Back to top of page