Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brant School No. 84 (RM of Rockwood)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Brant School District was established in March 1880 and, later that year, a one-room schoolhouse was built at SE17-14-1E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, at a cost of $500. The lumber and hardware was hauled from Stonewall by a Mr. Bruce and the structure was erected by a Mr. Fergusson. The school opened for classes in May 1882 and the first teacher, Miss Curle of Stonewall, was paid $30 per month for six months.

In October 1913, the district was consolidated with McLeod School No. 239 to form the Brant Consolidated School District No. 1703, with a two-storey brick school constructed in the nearby village of Argyle. The former school building was sold to a local resident for use as a residence. It was later sold and was destroyed by fire.

Among the teachers who worked at Brant School were Dorothy M. Curle (1882-1884), Charles Chapman (Spring 1885 - Fall 1886), John W. Chisholm (Spring 1887), Edward Anthony Wharton Gill (Fall 1887 - Fall 1888), Alex Barber (Spring 1889), Ira Stratton (Fall 1889 - Fall 1890), A. J? Pearsall? (Spring 1891), W. H. Simms (Fall 1891), James McLeod (Spring 1892 - Fall 1893), Hubert J. Graham (Spring-Fall 1893), Ralph Robbins (Spring 1894 - Fall 1895), Jacob Anderson (Spring 1896 - pt Fall 1896), Roland W. McClure (pt Fall 1896 - Fall 1897), Alfred J. Heaney (Spring 1898 - Spring 1900), Mary McLeod (Fall 1900 - Spring 1901), Mary L. Jackson (Fall 1901), records unavailable (Spring 1902 - Fall 1904), Alice E. Cooper (Spring-Fall 1905), Thomas Addison Neelin (Spring-Fall 1906), Alice C. Duke (Spring-Fall 1906), Catherine McNabb (Spring-Fall 1907), William John Gordon Scott (Spring-Fall 1908), Henrietta Smith (Spring-Fall 1909), Effie R. Johnston (Spring 1910 - Spring 1911), and Abbie T. [Affie?] Bell (Fall 1911 - Fall 1913).

Brant School

Sketch of the original Brant School building (no date)
Source: Shayne Campbell

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.18252, W97.41467
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.

Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.

Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Brant School No. 84 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Shayne Campbell, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 August 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.