The Botany School District was established formally in February 1887 and a school building was erected on the northeast corner of 12-7-22 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Glenwood. The district was dissolved in January 1960 and its remaining students went to Souris Consolidated School No. 2388. The school building is no longer present at the site, being replaced by a commemorative cairn, topped by a replica.
Botany School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 70.
Botany School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.56166, W100.32680
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 December 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.