Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bayview School No. 454 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

The Bayview School District was established formally in July 1885 in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. Classes were held initially in an unused house on the northeast corner of NW6-2-22W. In 1888, a one-room school house was built on the southwest corner of that same quarter. The building also served as Bayview Baptist Church until 1916 when services were discontinued. Renovated at least twice through the years, the school closed in 1966 and the building was used for a time as a granary. The school is commemorated by a monument at the site erected in 1995 by members of the Leforte and Schoonbaert families who were former students.

Among the teachres of Bayview School between 1896 and 1966 were Richard M. Oatway, Francis Douglas, Josie Harney, Mary Dandy, Clara Barboir, Carrie Cumming, Otis Wordew, S. Cameron, Sarah Hunter, Catherine Strachen, Adele Robinson, Stella Lovett, Mildred Scott, John Pinch, Augusta Andries, Myrtle Blackwell, William Rankin, Harold Stinson, Marie Rankin, Gordon Marks, B. Stinson, H. Adolphe, Germain Geldof, Betty Margaret Gibson, Grace Webb, Connie Clark, Shirley Hays, Ann Belcher, Ruth Greaves, Laura Fleming, Mayme Gowanlock, C. Neighbours, Nettie Siemens, Joan Banville, Elizabeth Jasper, Stanley Didkowski, Frances Hientz, Joyce Goudreau, Yvette Verpoorte, ? Rickard, Martha Schoonbaert, Elizabeth Oliver, ? Gordon, William Cumming, Irene Nelson, Olga Fosty, Vera Stewart, and Ivan McBurney.

Bayview School

Bayview School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 62.

The former Bayview School building

The former Bayview School building (no date)
Source: Janice McClelland

Bayview School commemorative monument

Bayview School commemorative monument (March 2020)
Source: Janice McClelland

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.09523, W100.42157
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Deloraine Scans a Century by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 123-124.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Janice McClelland.

Page revised: 13 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.