Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Grain Elevator (Balmoral, RM of Rockwood)
A 40,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at Balmoral, on the CPR Arborg Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, was built by Paterson Grain in 1935 to replace an 1898 elevator purchased from the Northern Elevator Company in 1918. A 60,000-bushel crib annex was built on its north side in 1952 and 15,000-bushel steel tanks were added in 1969. Major renovations were made in 1976. Closed in the fall of 2002, the elevator was demolished in August 2003.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality, 1982, page 203.
Balmoral: 1872-1997, page 20.
“Another elevator to fall,” Stonewall Argus and Teulon Times, 4 August 2003, page 2.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Jack McKinnon and Dale Barbour for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 January 2021