Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 87


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba Summer Edition - Dauphin

Here are five historic sites to see when visiting the Canadian National Ukrainian Frestival at Selo Ukraina near Dauphin. Click on the photos for more information about each site.

Search the MHS Historic Sites of Manitoba database for a complete list of historic sites.

Prince of Wales Fort

Selo Ukraina (“Ukrainian Village” in Ukrainian)

Seven miles south of Dauphin on #10. The site hosts a Ukrainian Heritage Village that includes three pioneer homes, a Ukrainian Orthodox church, the former Drifting River School (originally, several miles northwest of Dauphin, stood abandoned for many years), general store, shoe shop, and antique farm equipment. Several other excellent museums in the vicinity: Fort Dauphin Museum, Trembowla Cross of Freedom Museum, Gilbert Plains Museum, and Negrych Family Homestead Museum, among others.

Prince of Wales Fort

No. 7 Bombing and Gunnery School

Seven miles east of Dauphin on #20. This site, on 640 acres of land, was the largest of its kind used for training of military personnel during the Commonwealth Air Training Plan of the Second World War. Among its buildings were six large hangars, the floors of which are still visible, a concrete “stop butt,” a sewage treatment plant, and a triangular configuration of runways. (There are several other CATP sites in the area, including a former hangar at the Dauphin Airport, right along #10, and one of its relief fields north of Dauphin.

Prince of Wales Fort

Kosiw School No. 1245

Six miles west of the Selo Ukraina site. This one-room schoolhouse was built around 1903 and remained in use until 1965. The building was used for a time as a granary but appeared abandoned when I was there in 2012.

Prince of Wales Fort

Izon Barn

Two miles west of Dauphin on #5. It was built in the early 1920s by Hubert Izon, an English First World War veteran who had been gassed and wounded in France. Timber came from the Riding Mountains to the south and spaces between the logs were filled with a mixture of lime and horsehair. The barn was sold to municipal reeve John Potoski in 1959.

Prince of Wales Fort

Peter Fidler Grave Site

Fifteen miles northeast of Dauphin off #20. Early surveyor and map-maker Peter Fidler worked at Fort Dauphin (west shore of Dauphin Lake) from 1819 to 1822. He died on 17 December 1822 and was buried beside the fort. A wooden marker stands near the fort site although the actual grave site has been lost.

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 July 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.