Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Private Grain Elevator (Alexander, RM of Whitehead)
In 1980, an annex at Alexander, on the CPR Broadview Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, was constructed by Manitoba Pool Elevators, next to an elevator dating from 1927. In early 1990, machinery from the elevator was salvaged then the elevator was demolished. A new elevator was built using the renovated office and driveshed from its predecessor. An official opening ceremony was held on 5 September 1990. Five days later, a former Paterson elevator that had stood immediately to the east was destroyed by fire. Three steel tanks were added in 1993 then the complex was closed by Agricore United in early 2002 and sold to a local grain processor.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
“Alexander elevator reopens today,” Brandon Sun, 16 September 2002, page 3.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Page revised: 20 September 2018
Back to top of page