Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 82


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

A Historical Trip by the Buffaloes Junior Chapter, St. John's High School, Winnipeg

Manitoba Pageant, September 1958, Volume 4, Number 1

This article was published originally in Manitoba Pageant by the Manitoba Historical Society on the above date. We make it available here as a free, public service.

Please direct inquiries to webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

This year under the leadership of Miss R. Whiteside, the Grade XI students of St. John’s High School formed three new chapters of the "Manitoba Junior Historical Society," the "Buffaloes," "Tigers" and the "Adventurers." These chapters were set up in order to give students an interest in the historical sites in and around Winnipeg.

On Tuesday, 13 May 1958 the members of the three chapters were privileged to go on a tour of the historical sites of Winnipeg and the surrounding area. Accompanied by Mr. Elwood Ridd, Miss Whiteside and Miss Vant, we commenced our journey at one o'clock.

Our first visit was to the Lord Selkirk Monument on Memorial Boulevard. We then went on to the Legislative Building. From there we visited the Upper Fort Garry Gate, situated in small Fort Garry Park on Main Street, near the C.N.R. station. On the gate is found a small plaque relating the history of the gate. Our bus then crossed into St. Boniface where we visited the Cathedral Churchyard and the site of Louis Riel's grave, the La Verendrye Memorial, and the St. Boniface City Hall.

Crossing into Winnipeg again we stopped at Ross House. However, it was closed, so we will have to visit it again. We then started on the long trek to Lower Fort Garry. On the way we passed by the Seven Oaks Monument Memorial which is located in West Kildonan. This monument was dedicated in honour of Governor Robert Semple and the twenty Selkirk Settlers who were killed by a group of Metis led by Cuthbert Grant. We went into Kildonan Park to see the memorial in honour of Peguis — the Indian Chief who aided the Lord Selkirk Settlers. We then journeyed on to St. Andrew's Church, which is the oldest church in Western Canada in continuous use.

Finally we reached the high point of our trip. We arrived at Lower Fort Garry. Here we spent the greater part of the afternoon exploring the Fort. We saw the powder magazine, fur warehouse, cannons and the York boat.

Our trip into the past was very interesting and it will, we hope, inspire us to look forward and to appreciate other historical places in our province. Other historical chapters might plan a similar trip.

Page revised: 23 October 2011

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.