Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Manitoba Organization: Winnipeg Swimming Club

A dock and two-storey clubhouse on the Red River in Winnipeg, near the present-day site of the Winnipeg Lawn Tennis Club, were built around 1910 by the Winnipeg Swimming Club. In 1939, the facility was purchased by the YMCA and renamed the Y Aquatic Club. The name changed in 1945 to the Y Canoe Club. A major flood in 1950 led to the clubhouse being condemned and demolished. A fundraising campaign to rebuild the clubhouse failed and the group ceased operations.

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Cull (1870-1942)

Sources:

““Y” Canoe Club” by Margaret Grant, pages 73-75 in Fort Garry Remembered II, 2004. Fort Garry Historical Society.

This page was prepared by Rick Wishart.

Page revised: 6 February 2022

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.