Manitoba Organization: Sir Hugh John Macdonald Memorial Hostel / Macdonald Youth Services / The Link

This organization, known initially as the Sir Hugh John Macdonald Memorial Hostel, named for judge Hugh John Macdonald, was established in 1929 in a rented house in north Winnipeg. Its mandate was to “provide a Christian home for under-privileged boys living in the wrong environment due to bad home conditions”. Its initial trustees were Harold George Dawson (chair), John William Matheson, F. P. Robinson (honorary secretary-treasurer), D. H. S. Tuckwell, R. A. McClellan, Hugh Buxton Lyall, S. Taylor, and W. Percy White.

In 1931, the facility relocated to permanent quarters at 175 Mayfair Avenue. Eventually, it became Macdonald Youth Services and was renamed The Link in 2022.

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Hugh John Macdonald (1850-1929)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sturgeon House (428 Mountain Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McArthur House (159 Mayfair Avenue, Winnipeg)


“How much is a boy worth?,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 August 1930, page 39.

“The beginnings,” Macdonald Youth Services, 17 March 2005 [Internet Archive].

Board approves decision to rebrand,” The Link, 21 June 2021.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 November 2023