Manitoba Communities: Niverville (Town)
Niverville’s English and Scottish pioneers arrived here during the early 1870s. From 1874 to 1878, as part of the Mennonite East Reserve, it served as an entrance point for some 3,000 Mennonite settlers who came to southeastern Manitoba. In 1877, the Canadian Pacific Railway chose to name this sparsely populated area after Chevalier Boucher de Niverville, an officer of the company of Legardeur de St. Pierre, who succeeded La Verendrye in charge of western posts. In 1878, a plan for the town was registered by William Hespeler on 30 acres in the northwest quarter of 30-7-4E. The next year, Hespeler constructed the community’s first hotel and the first grain elevator in western Canada. The first post office opened in May 1879 and a school followed in 1884. Presbyterian church services commenced in 1885.
Search the MHS collection of biographies for ones connected to Niverville:
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 February 2022