Manitoba Communities: Bield (Unincorporated Village, Municipality of Roblin)
This village in the Municipality of Roblin was established around 1913 as a stopping point on the Canadian National Railway. Its name was suggested by the first postmaster, Reverend Andrew Chisholm, from the Scottish word for “shelter,” as it was situated in a valley between the Duck Mountains and Riding Mountains. The post office closed in 1970.
Photos & Maps
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 July 2017Back to top of page