Historic Sites of Manitoba: Emerson Elementary School (323 Emerson Avenue, Winnipeg)
Located in North Kildonan, this school was designed by Winnipeg architectural firm of Macdonald, Cockburn, and McFeetors. The concrete, steel frame, and masonry structure opened as part of the River East School Division and received students from the recently-closed New Rosewell School. Built at a cost of around $1,400,000, the school opened in the Fall of 1979.
Photos & Coordinates
“Tender notice Emerson Avenue Elementary School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 March 1978, page 54.
“Electric to gas switch expected to cut costs,” Winnipeg Free Press Community News, 2 May 1978, page 35.
“Funds sought for Emerson School,” Winnipeg Free Press Community News, 4 May 1978, page 49.
“Board seeks room for 137 students,” Winnipeg Free Press Community News, 18 May 1978, page 45.
“New school to open; transportation queried,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 April 1979, page 37.
“Charges laid after break-in at school causes $25,000 damage,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 May 1986, page 3.
“[Emerson School...],” Winnipeg Free Press Northeast Community Review, 24 June 1998, page 1.
School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule: E 0757, Accession: GR 1196, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 August 2020