Manitoba Photographers: Aubrey Randolph Henson (1884-1965)
Born at Totnes, Devonshire, England on 8 August 1884, son of Gerald Henson, he came to Manitoba in 1903 and worked on a farm near Brandon until 1911 when he opened a photographic studio at Newdale, working out of a tent in the summer months.
In 1916, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served overseas with the 78th Battalion. Discharged with the rank of Sergeant Major, he returned to Newdale with his wife Carmen Henson (c1886-1953) and opened a shop where he sold photographic supplies, stationery, greeting cards, radios and record players. In 1931, he moved to Minnedosa and took over the photographic studio established by William B. St. John in 1879. He also ran Henson’s Drug Store at Wasagaming during the summer months from 1932 to 1949, was President of the Wasagaming Board of Trade, and served as Postmaster (1941-1959). In 1956, he built a new post office building at Wasagaming.
“A. R. Henson,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 July 1934, page 11.
Minnedosa: A Village History, 1878 - 1948 by Minnedosa Women’s Institute, 1948. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.M57 Min]
“Local druggist buys store at Wasagaming,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 6 October 1949, page 1.
“Mrs. C. Henson, welfare official dies at 67 years,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1953, page 29.
“New Wasagaming PO gives daily service,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 May 1956, page 17.
“Birthdays,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 August 1964, page 29.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1965, page 27.
“For sale,” Rossburn Review, 16 June 1966, page 8.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 November 2021