Manitoba Business: Melita New Era
The Melita New Era was established at Melita in 1915 when the Rev. Thomas Beveridge purchased and merged the Melita Enterprise (established 1891) and Melita Progress and Pierson Review. After eight years of publishing the paper, he sold it to his son-in-law Wilfred Ketcheson who carried on until his death, when it was purchased by long-time employee August Lenz along with editor Ken Friesen.
The newspaper closed in March 2020.
“Melita paper changes hands for first time in its history,” Brandon Sun, 25 August 1969, page 10.
The Story of Manitoba’s Weekly Newspapers by Major A. M. Pratt, The Manitoba Weekly Newspapers Association, 1970, page 501-511.
“Reading the papers,” Rossburn Review, 30 April 1986, page 4.
“Across Manitoba,” Shoal Lake Crossroads, 9 December 2000, page 18.
“Southwestern Manitoba newspapers shut down,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 2020.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 September 2020