Manitoba Business: Manitoba Bridge and Iron Works / Manitoba Bridge and Engineering Works
Founded in 1902 by Thomas Russ Deacon and Hugh Buxton Lyall, the firm occupied a 15-acre site on Logan Avenue in Winnipeg for much of its history. It provided structural steel for numerous Winnipeg landmarks, including the Legislative Building and Union Station. In 1918, it purchased the Manitoba Rolling Mills at Selkirk then, in 1930, it became a division of Dominion Bridge. At that point, it left the fabrication of structural steel products to its parent company and instead focused on other areas of steel fabricating and manufacturing, operating under the name of Manitoba Bridge and Engineering Works. The company was dissolved in August 1982.
Some Manitoba structures constructed using its products:
“Contract awarded for bridge over Brokenhead,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 May 1927, page 4.
“Steel markets improve,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 May 1971, page 14.
“Notice of liquidation Manitoba Bridge & Engineering Works, Limited,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 January 1983, page 17.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 July 2023