Northern Prairie Ships: W. J. Guest
Laid down and built in 1917, this tugboat was named for William John Guest of the Northern Fish Company, later known as the Guest Fish Company. The vessel was led by Captain W. Simpson and, as of 1923, manned by a crew of two engineers, two firemen, a mate, a purser, and four deckhands. Among its duties were towing barges and smaller fishing vessels. On 5 October 1923, the W. J. Guest collided with the SS Archibald on the Red River approximately 7.5 miles north of Selkirk. While hull damage was minor, there were two fatalities among the crew of the Archibald. It was repaired in Selkirk and returned to service, continuing to operate for at least a decade. Its later fate is uncertain.
W. J. Guest docked at Selkirk with the Nothern Fish Company fleet
W. J. Guest being repaired at Selkirk following the October 1923 crash (1923)
W. J. Guest docked at Selkirk (1931)
“River vessels crash head-on in heavy fog,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 October 1923, page 1.
“Captains tell of collision,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 8 October 1923, page 1.
“Two die when boats collide in Red River,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 October 1923, page 3.
“Marine court not yet decided,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 October 1923, page 2.
“Marine court inquiry asked,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 October 1923, page 3.
Nauticapedia.ca, W. J. GuestError processing SSI file
Page revised: 12 February 2022